So my two oldest, enJineer and princess Tea, have been earning money by reading books, "babysitting" christmas aNgel and hAppy net, and doing various jobs for me. Well, Nathan and I felt it was time to let them experiment with spending some of their hard earned money and we thought garage sales are the way to go-- you can get things really cheap and there's no tax to deal with so I wouldn't have to explain that whole thing to a 6 and 7 year old.
I usually go to garage sales alone, and pick up little items I think the kids will enjoy. But this morning we all got up early and loaded up in the van. We found an area having a neighborhood garage sale. The kids were going crazy. They found some sweet deals, had a blast, and spent up their money pretty fast- (well, not all of it. They did have a little left over when it was all said and done). enJineer was trying so hard to be wise and careful with his money since he had less of it then his sister did, but princess Tea went on a wild shopping spree. I tried to help them be discerning about what they bought, but at the same time allow them to spend their money the way they wanted to. It was hard. I also tried to help them learn how to make change.
All in all, it was a good lesson for them (and me). I'm glad we went. I think we will all remember this crazy morning for quite a while!
5 comments:
The fact that you have extra money is impre$$ive!!! Will you adopt me?!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE garage sales!!!!!! Guess I missed the invitation to come with you. :P
Hey,
When are you going to send me your link? Is Coffe Crazed your bolg? I wanna see!
Me too, sorry about your invite. It must have gotten lost in the mail...:P
LOL- kuddos to the kiddos! I have trouble having money left over when garage saleing!!! LOL- although I agree, some great deals to be had~! Found a great coffee pot for 50 cents- ALOT better then spending $20~
Me? have a blog? HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Now that is funny! Like I have something to say.
(No, I just changed my name to continue to surf/post annoymously!!!)
Cannot wait to see you guys at M.T's graduation!!! Warning - I will pat our baby tummy and if your neice was there - I would totally eat her up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good for you and them! :)
Post a Comment